WELCOME TO MESOPOTAMIA
Mesopotamia Station is a family-run high country station running sheep, deer and cattle It is located in the high-country at the headwaters of the Rangitata Gorge at about 457 metres (1800 ft) above sea level rising to 2660 metres (7500 ft). Its size is just over 15, 000 acres and currently runs 11,000 merino sheep, 3000 deer and 500 cattle. Mesopotamia has concessions for a further 75,000 acres. It is an unspoiled piece of South Island paradise which we would like to share with others. Mesopotamia Station offers opportunities for visitors through Accommodation, Helicopter flights, Hunting and other tourism activities.
The name Mesopotamia originates from the Middle East and means ‘the land between two rivers’ - the original the rivers were the Tigris and the Euphrates. Mesopotamia Station lies between the Rangitata and Forest Creek rivers and was named by Samuel Butler in 1860. It remains one of New Zealand's oldest high country stations.